Monday, March 12, 2012

Freezer Meal #1 - Tacos!

Today for supper we ate the first meal out of the freezer. It was a hit! J said he would never have known it had been frozen. IE usually refuses to eat leftovers, but he ate it up..I do not think he realized it WAS leftovers!

It is actually a really simple recipe. I am not sure where it came from, I have just made them this way as long as I can remember. This recipe will make enough for 2x for a family of 4-6 (depending on how much your family eats at a ti,e).

Yummy Freezer Tacos

2 pounds lean ground beef
4 TBSP of taco seasoning (I mix Ortega and Old El Paso..or sometimes make my own via this recipe
1 to 1 1/2 cups of water depending on how wet you like your taco meat


Brown and drain the meat
Add the seasoning and stir well
Add the water and bring to a slow boil
Decrease heat and simmer for 5 minutes

I serve it taco salad style with salsa, spinach, pinto beans, Tostitos baked scoops, and shredded cheddar cheese

What you freeze - Let cool to room temperature. Put in a freezer safe Ziploc bag and lie flat to freeze. It should keep for 3 weeks. (I am not sure how long it would hold flavor past that..but I read somewhere that 3 weeks was good for tacos.


*Note, whenever it is my recipe I will share it. If it is a friend's or out of a book, I will not. I will refer you to the book though. If it comes from a website, I will do what I did above and reference you to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment