Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Book Review - Voices of The Faithful Book 2 - Kim P. Davis and Beth Moore

As I have mentioned in "About Me" time to time I will write reviews of books that I receive for free in exchange for a review. This is one of those books. I received this book from BookSneeze. If you enjoy reading and reviewing books, I would apply to be a reviewer!




The book consists of small daily devotionals. Each is based on a story of a missionary and his/her/their journey. Each lets the reader know a lesson the missionary learned while on the field. They are heartfelt, thought-provoking, and honest reads. I have enjoyed them immensely.

One of my favorites is the devotion for October 29th. It is based on Mark 4:40.

And He said to them, "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?" (New American Standard Bible (©1995))

The writer speaks of a time when her family's living situation suddenly became uncertain and how she was praying to God for them not to lose their current home. Then a peace came over her and she realized she needed to put her faith in the Lord and His ability to take care of her family. The new living situation was better for her family than the first. She speaks of how it was a lesson in trusting God even through storms.

This devotion really spoke to me at the time I read it. Two of my children inherited a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis from me. I have never had any major problems with it, but they do. Our lives have now become a series of doctors, therapists, and frequent MRIs. I could make the choice to be angry and bitter even. I do not think many people would "blame" me for that. However, my faith (held strong by verses like this one) allows me to put this in His hands and not hold to bad feelings, but let my faith calm me so I can do what needs to be done to help them and not get lost in my anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment